[sustran] Thank you for your advice on TDM

Taiichi INOUE t4-inoue at nri.co.jp
Sat Aug 30 22:55:33 JST 1997

Hello,

I've got much information on TDM from many members. Thank you for your advice.

I will try to get these information.

As I've told you, I would like to study some projects and TDM policy in foreign countries from now on. Among Japanese researchers some measures on TDM in foreign countries

are very famous. Now in some cities of Japan these measures are investigated, whether they will be able to introduce or not. And in fact recently some cities tried the park&bus-ride or park&rail-ride measures. In these cities commuting by cars is common. These trials were mainly for the field test, and the period was often short. Only for a few days!

In TOKYO we began to examine TDM measures. I think some measures which have been tried in foreign cities will be also effective. But the measures for commuting cars will not be so effective in TOKYO area, I think. Because most people commute by trains. According to some statistics, the 10-20% people use cars for commuting to central TOKYO, and another people commute by trains or bus or bicycle or walk. I've heard this ratio is much higher in the US and some European countries than in central TOKYO area. I think the target of TDM measures is clear if it is commuting cars. So we have to consider good and new measures for TOKYO area.

Think globally, Act locally.

 Consultant

  Transport & Logistics System Strategy.

  Nomura Research Institute,Ltd.