[sustran] Re: TDM Policy in the city, states, nation

Monica Welle Brown mewelleb at ouray.cudenver.edu
Wed Aug 27 00:40:16 JST 1997

Taiichi INOUE wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am now looking for the policy about Transportation Demand Management
> which has been introduced by a local government or a national
> government. In the statement of the policy I want to find them as
> follows;
>
> What is a goal? When do they try to archive this goal?
> How is this goal described?
> What are their measures?
> What should people do to archive this goal?
>
> In Japan recently TDM becomes a hot topic. And some textbooks are
> published in Japanese. In these books I can find some efforts and
> trials in the US or some European countries. But they are usually
> reported partly, and it is difficult for me to understand them as a
> whole.
>
> So if there are any reports or documents about this matter, please let
> me know.
> Thanks.
>
> Think global, Act local.
>
> Consultant
> Taiichi Inoue
> Transport & Logistics System Strategy.
> Nomura Research Institute,Ltd.
> 2-2-1,Ootemachi,Chiyoda-ku,
> Tokyo 100,JAPAN
> tel +81-3-5203-0806 fax +81-3-5203-0810
> Website http://www.nri.co.jp/

Washington State implemented a Commute Trip Reduction Act which was
aimed at large employers in the most populated counties in the state.
This CTR Act attempted to get these employers to implement TDM measures
at their worksites.  Although, I worked with a county affected by this
Act a couple years ago, I have not kept up with the status of this
program. I do know the employers have been surveyed in recent years, so
Washington State should have some results on the success of the Commute
Trip Reduction Act.  I think the Washington State Department of
Transportation is now responsible for this policy.  Maybe someone knows
a current contact (or available report) at the Washington State
Department of Transportation?

Sincerely,
Monica Welle
University of Colorado at Denver