[sustran] Re: Funicular

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Fri Aug 22 23:09:00 JST 1997

>At 20:27 21/08/97 +0300, you wrote:
>>Hello All,
>>
>>Does anyone knows about funiculars or elevators being used as part of
>>public urban transit ? I know about the city of Valparaiso in Chile,
>>that has more than 10 funiculars.
>>
>>I am interested in funiculars or elevators that have a high volume of
>>passagers.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Zilan Moura
>>

>Lisbon has a short rack railway taking people down into the old town centre.
>
>As a Brit I am not clear on your terminology - I thought an elevator was US
>for a what I would call a lift (a box which goes up and down on a cable in
>a shaft - usually in a building)

Oregon City was an elevator/lift....

>However, Hong Kong has recently installed what they and I call escalators,
>to move large numbers of people up from the waterfront to Mid Levels on the
>island. You may find more on a HK web site.

WENDELL COX CONSULTANCY
International Public Policy, Economics, Labour, Transport & Strategic Planning
The Public Purpose: Internet Public Policy Journal
http://www.publicpurpose.com
Voice +1 618 632 8507; Fax  +1 618 632 8538
P.O. Box 8083;. Belleville, Illinois 62222 USA