[sustran] zegras-cox et.al.

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Fri Aug 22 21:12:42 JST 1997

Thank you for the note...

What are these extra costs (generally)? If they are social costs I know what
you are talking about.

>Hello Wendell,
>
>I think if we are going to deploy the argument that user taxes amount to
>more than the capital and operating costs of roads then we have to look
>at all other costs that would be avoided if we did not have car/truck
>traffic on the roads.  I know there is a lot of argument in this area
>but partial accounting is wosre than no accounting.  The numbers for the
>UK (fairly reliable estimates) are that all these costs amount to a
>figure in the range œ45.9 billion- œ52.9 billion and all user taxes
>amount to œ16.4 billion.  Road users pay 31%-36% of the cots of keeping
>them moving in this way.  They receive a 65%-70% subsidy.
>
>Source:  Maddison,D et al (1996) The True Costs of Road Transport,
>Earthscan, London.  Fax:  +44 171 278 1142
>
>very best wishes,
>
>John Whitelegg

WENDELL COX CONSULTANCY
International Public Policy, Economics, Labour, Transport & Strategic Planning
The Public Purpose: Internet Public Policy Journal
http://www.publicpurpose.com
Voice +1 618 632 8507; Fax  +1 618 632 8538
P.O. Box 8083;. Belleville, Illinois 62222 USA