[sustran] zegras-cox et.al.

JOHN WHITELEGG j.whitelegg at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Aug 21 23:11:31 JST 1997

Dear Sustran colleagues,

Thanks to Wendell Cox for filling in the missing bit about London.  His
information is correct.  Those of us who live in the 95% of the land
area of Britain that is not London wonder why we have a totally wrecked
public transport system while London has a different system.  The news
from London's rail commuters, however, indicates that they at least
share our sorrow over the demise of a public transport transport system
on the totally artificial rock of a pathetic ideological argument about
ownership.

Those wanting to know more about the poor record of deregulation and
privatisation of buses in the Uk should conuslt:

House of Commons Select Committee on transport, 1992-93, 4th report, The
government's proposals for the deregulation of buses in London, HC 623
I-III

best wishes,

John Whitelegg