[sustran] zegras-cox et.al.

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Thu Aug 21 21:32:25 JST 1997

Re the John Whitelegg posting...

>re privatisation-subsidy discussions
>
>Please be aware of Uk experience in privatisation of bus and rail.  Very
>briefly we have the following results from bus deregulation (1986) and
>rail privatisation (1996):
>
>1  25% fall in bus patronage in metroplitan areas as a result of poorer
>co-ordination, higher fares, low level information
>2  more air pollution from buses as the age of the bus fleet increases
>and intense competition takes place on key corridor routes into city
>centres (eg Oxford Rd in Manchster)
>3  loss of rail patronage on urban metro systems in Liverpool
>andNewcastle as bus operators target rail routes and offer lower fares
>4  confusion over who should own, maintain and promote better bus stops,
>bus stations etc

This is in significant contrast to the competitive tendering program in
London, as opposed to the deregulation outside London. In London,
privatization has proceeded, but public tranport bus operatiions are under
the policy control of London Transport, which guarantees the entire system,
including the system-wide travel pass, service coordination, timetables,
etc. (Privatization of operations occured, but policy remained public).

1. Unit cost savings have been nearly duplicate that of the outside London
services (more than a 40 percent real reduction)

2. Service kilometers have risen by 30 percent

3. Ridership has increased slightly, as opposed to a nearly 28 percent drop
outside London

4. Not particularly well known is the fact that the LT system has worked
better from a subsidy standpoint as well. Overall general and concessionary
government contributions are down 48 percent in London, and down only 28
percent outside.

Data on this is on our site at...

        http://www.publicpurpose.com/ut-ctdrg.htm

Best regards,
Wendell Cox

WENDELL COX CONSULTANCY
International Public Policy, Economics, Labour, Transport & Strategic Planning
The Public Purpose: Internet Public Policy Journal
http://www.publicpurpose.com
Voice +1 618 632 8507; Fax  +1 618 632 8538
P.O. Box 8083;. Belleville, Illinois 62222 USA