[sustran] Re: Prioritizing Transportation Projects

Carlos Mauricio Perez Sagre cperez at dnp.gov.co
Thu Aug 21 00:22:27 JST 1997

This topic is quite interesting. I had some experience about this with
people of the Institute for Transport Studies at the University of Leeds
-UK.

The methodology includes an extensive utilisation of mathematical models
on transport systems (the basic tool) combined with linear and polinomic
linear regressions to simulate some key policy  variables (Public
Transport Fares, Road Pricing Levels, Infrastructure Projects -entered
as dummy variables-, etc) by using the extended model and then compared
the impact of them on a target indicator: NPV, Generalised-Costs, PVF,
etc. This runs are the initial data to build the regression models. The
regression equations will become the strategic models to simulate the
transport model and to make the optimisation process shorter.

More information can be given by Simon Shepherd SSHEPHER at its.leeds.ac.uk
or Paul Timms PTIMMS at its.leeds.ac.uk who will be given a lecture ob this
topic at the 25th European Transport Forum (UK). They are doing a
project called OPTIMA for the European Comission

I can also give you some references if they aren't available.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Carlos Mauricio Perez
Jefe Division de Transporte