[asia-apec 1489] NZ PM writes to Sultan of Brunei re APEC

APEC Monitoring Group notoapec at clear.net.nz
Tue Jul 18 00:44:35 JST 2000

The Press, Christchurch NZ, 15 July 2000

Clark writes to Sultan after newspaper report

Prime Minister Helen Clark has written to the Sultan of Brunei to avert a diplomatic backlash after her comment to Britain's Financial Times that Apec had run out of steam and was unlikely to make progress under Brunei's stewardship.

In an article published on June 29, she said: "Apec won't get any steam this year, because it's in Brunei, which is really too small to give the leadership for it.

"The following year will be in China and that will create huge interest.

"To be frank, this year, I don't think people are expecting a lot of progress."

Ms Clark's comments were consistent with her views expressed all year.

But, in order to avert a diplomatic backlash, she sent an explanatory letter with her acceptance of the Sultan's invitation to attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation leaders summit in Brunei in November.

"Imade the point that hosting Apec was a huge burden for a small country.  I noted that Brunei has inherited from New Zealand the largest built-in agenda of any host to date," she said. "Apec is a heavy burden for any of its smaller members.  Indeed, I know that acting as host last year was a major challenge for New Zealand and one which drew heavily on all policy and logistical resources."

She said reviving Apec might prove harder because of the disillusion with the United States in the wake of the Asian crisis.

"There are terribly bitter feelings in Asia from the US response to the Asian economic crisis. What they saw was, when Russia and Brazil were in trouble they rushed in, and they didn't do that for Asia, and yet these countries in Asia had been, they considered, very loyal friends."