[asia-apec 660] NZ: Mike Moore and the WTO

Gatt Watchdog gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz
Thu Sep 17 12:43:25 JST 1998

PM backs Moore for trade job
By Victoria Main
Political Editor, The Dominion, Wellington, September 17 1998

Labour MP Mike Moore's chances of getting the job of director-general of the
Geneva-based World Trade Organisation rose yesterday when Prime Minister Jenny
Shipley threw her Government's weight behind his candidacy.

Mr Moore is understood to have the backing of the United States in his bid
for the post that Renato Ruggiero will vacate early next year.

During a joint press conference with Mr Moore in her Beehive office, Mrs
Shipley said "a significant number of prominent New Zealanders and other
embassies" had told the Government that his candidacy had widespread support.

She said the Government had given Mr Moore, a former prime minister and
foreign affairs and trade minister, unofficial backing as he sounded out his
chances.  It would now offer him active support.

"There is reform required in the WTO and we think that Mike Moore is the
person for that task," she said.  The Government thought he had "a very good
chance" of getting the job.

Mrs Shipley indicated she did not think the Government's backing for his
candidacy would jeopardise Foreign Affairs Minister Don McKinnon's chances of
becoming Commonwealth secretary-general next year.

She said Mr Moore said the jobs were completely different and the Government
would not be supporting one candidate at the risk of another.

Mr Moore said: "I am completely content with the intensity and the level of
the Government's support. It's totally appropriate and I don't see in any
way a competition between myself and Don McKinnon."

Mr Moore said he would relish the challenge the job would offer. "I see this
as economic peacekeeping.  I see the WTO as an institution as important to our
daily lives, our living standards, our health system, our environment, as
other great institutions such as the United Nations."

Mrs Shipley said the position was important both from a New Zealand
perspective and internationally.

"And we do believe that Mike Moore has not only the skills but also the
political experience to take on this extremely important role."

Nominations close on October 1.  A decision is due by the end of the year.

Mr Moore, MP for Waimakariri, said he would contest the next election if he
missed on the WTO job.

United States ambassador Josiah Beeman said last night that the United States
had not formally endorsed any WTO candidate but "Mr Moore, by his background,
experience and temperament, is certainly a competitive candidate for the job."

Moore bids for world's top trade post
By Peter Luke, The Press, Christchurch 17/9/98

Labour MP Mike Moore could soon be swapping the Canterbury Plains for the
Swiss Alps as he formally vies for the world's top trade job.

Mr Moore yesterday confirmed long-standing speculation that he would bid for
the post of director-general of the World Trade Organisation, based in Geneva.

His attempt has the full blessing of the National minority government. Prime
Minister Jenny Shipley said Mr Moore would be the official nominee of New
Zealand.

This means Mr Moore would have behind him the full resources of New Zealand
diplomats overseas, including his former political opponent and present
Ambassador to the United States, Jim Bolger.

Labour leader Helen Clark has also offered her support for Mr Moore's bid.

A decision on who will succeed Renato Ruggiero as WTO director-general is
expected by the end of the year.  Rivals for Mr Moore already declared are
the Thai deputy prime minister and a former Canandian (sic) trade minister.

Neither Mr Moore nor Mrs Shipley would comment on what nations were likely
to support the New Zealand bid.

Informal soundings with other countries have been going on for several weeks.
Mr Moore has visited South America and Europe to assess support.

He believed the chances for a New Zealand nominee were higher than four
years ago, when a bitter WTO battle led to Mr Ruggiero's appointment.  This
time it was accepted that the post would not go to a European.

Mr Moore did not believe that lobbying would be weakened if New Zealand was
also pushing Foreign Minister Don McKinnon for the job of Commonwealth
secretary-general.

Mr Moore, trade minister in the fourth Labour Government and former party
leader, was still being promoted to wrest back party leadership as recently
as 1996.

He appears to have given up leadership aspirations, although if his WTO bid
fails he will remain in Parliament.

Mr Moore said that the WTO was second in international standing only to the
United Nations.  He had been previously approached to seek the
director-general's job.