[asia-apec 820] Agenda: Workshop on Forests and Trade

Paige Fischer apfischer at igc.org
Thu Oct 22 12:52:24 JST 1998

To all of you who are interested in participating in the workshop $(C(BForests
and Trade on the Pacific Rim:  How Do We Protect Our Communities:$(D(B

Here is a draft agenda and list of speakers/discussion leaders for the
workshop.  If you have any comments or suggestions, please contact us.  We
welcome your input.

There is still time to register for the workshop and make travel
arrangements.  Please feel free to ask for any information or assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paige Fischer

SPEAKERS/DISCUSSION LEADERS (confirmed and invited)

Harrison Ngau, Borneo Research Institute, Malaysia
Yoichi Kuroda, JATAN, Japan
Longgena Ginting, WALHI, Indonesia
Chee Yoke Ling, Third World Network, Malaysia
Adrianna Hoffman, Defensoras del Bosques Chileno, Chile
Victor Menotti, International Forum on Globalization, USA
Evelyne Hong, Salat Alam Malaysia, Malaysia
Meng Chou, Ideal, Malaysia
Leonie van der Maesen, Friends of the Earth/Native Forest Network, Australia
Kazuko Matsue, Forest Policy Research Center, Japan
Carol Young, Gender and Development Center, Malaysia
Moestafa Alwi, LATIN, Indonesia
Pat Rasmussen, Leavenworth Adopt-A-Tree, U.S.A
Raymond Abin, Borneo Research Institute, Malaysia
Russian and New Zealand forest activists will also make presentations

DRAFT AGENDA  (Please feel free to comment on this)

Forests and Trade on the Pacific Rim:  How Do We Protect Our Communities?
November 11 and 12, 1998
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (hotel and address will be made available soon)

***Day One:  Wednesday, November 11***

9:00	WELCOME

9:30	PRESENTATION:  Free Trade in Forests:  What does it mean for
ecosystems and communities in Pacific Rim countries?

10:00	UPDATES:  Case Studies which show how trade and multinational
corporations are impacting forests and communities

Malaysia
Chile
New Zealand
Japan
U.S. Pacific Northwest
Russian Far East
Philippines
Mexico
Indonesia

12:00  QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION:  What are the problems with globalization?
How can we impact consumer behavior?  What tools and skills do we need to
deal with problems? What questions do we need to answer at workshop?

13:00	LUNCH

14:00	PRESENTATION:  How do citizens in different countries confront
globalization differently and how can we work together using our various
strategies?  (Case studies:  Japan, Malaysia, Chile, USA)

15:00	DISCUSSION

16:00	EXPLORING STRATEGIES:  SMALL GROUP BREAKOUT ONE (every body pick one
group)
Awareness/|Education Campaigns
Mobilising Communities
Corporations
Import/Export Bans and Controls
Policy Alternatives
Responsible Trade Tools
Consumer Campaigns/Certification
More

17:30	REVIEW DISCUSSION, SET PRIORITIES FOR TOMORROW

***Day Two:  Thursday, November 12***

9:00	UPDATES:  Presentations on current initiatives and campaigns to
confront globalization of forest industry and trade and investment
initiatives such as APEC, NAFTA and FTAA, IMF, WTO

10:30	DISCUSSION:  Ways to build networks, collaborate and join up on
campaigns, identify campaigns

11:30	EXPLORING STRATEGIES:  SMALL GROUP BREAKOUT TWO (every body join new
group)
Awareness/|Education Campaigns
Mobilising Communities
Corporations
Import/Export Bans and Controls
Policy Alternatives
Responsible Trade Tools
Consumer Campaigns/Certification
More

13:00	LUNCH

14:00	DISCUSSION:  Where Do We Go From Here?  Developing Joint-strategies
and Plans for Collaboration

15:00 	PRESENTATION:  Logistical considerations for joint-campaigns and
network-building

16:00	DISCUSSION: Working out Logistics

17:30 	CLOSING