[asia-apec 799] Clarifications about the listserv

PAN Asia Pacific panap at panap.po.my
Wed Oct 14 16:58:15 JST 1998

To all subscribers,

My apologies for not replying sooner.  I think some clarifications
need to be made about what, in fact, this listserv is.

When the APPA secretariat was first formed in March 1998, we decided
to set up an email listserv.  ICHRDD in Canada,  the moderator of
last year's apecforum-l listserv, and JCA-NET, the operator of the
asia-apec listserv, which was left unmoderated after Manila, agreed
to combine listservs.  JCA-NET would continue as the owner, doing the
administrative work, because I could not do that from these offices,
and the APPA secretariat would take over as the moderator. Next year,
if any groups host another parallel gathering, they will take over as
moderators.

The asia-apec listserv is primarily a forum for discussion and
information sharing about APPA.  Therefore, the parameters of the
listserv should reflect those of the assembly.  This year our
theme is "Resisting Globalisation: Reasserting Peoples' Rights".
The listserv is therefore primarily a venue for postings about
resistance to globalisation and the violations to human rights that
globalisation brings, especially as they concern the Asia-Pacific
region.

Having said that, I do agree that there must be a some guidelines
to make the listserv useful.  So, as the moderator, let me suggest
this criteria:

1. That all postings which are replies do not contain, within the
text, the message that you are replying to.  This is very costly
for us and for other groups that pay for their email by the size of
the documents.

2. These are the postings we want:
-postings about APPA (alerts, press releases, registration and
programme information, newsletters, information, logistics, updates
about the current situation, messages of solidarity)
-postings about globalisation and resistance to it.  The first
will help us in strengthening our analysis.  The latter are
essential to the international movement and APPA itself.
-postings about APEC that help us in our analysis of APEC and in our
strategies for working against its globalisation agenda and its
undemocratic process. This could include debate about how we should
approach APEC.
-postings about the current political situation in Malaysia and
the reaction of other governments to it. The current situation will
defintely affect the operations of APPA and of APEC itself.  Groups
outside of Malaysia need to know what is happening here.
-postings about APEC news outside of Malaysia.  We would very much
like to know what is happening outside of Malaysia.  For
example, being informed about the situation in Canada has helped us
in dealing with the Canadian government with regards to funding.

3. If people have lengthy documents or if they wish to make
available information from previous years, please send a message
to the listserv saying you have this information and will send it
to anyone that requests it.  You could also edit texts to make
them shorter and more relevant.  This may take a little more effort
on your part but it is necessary to the success of this listserv.

I do apologize for neglecting my duties over the previous couple of
weeks.  Things are very busy at the secretariat and I welcome the
invitation of others to help with the moderating.  I also welcome
input about how the listserv should operate.  I will put together
some type of informal report for groups that may want to take it
over next year.

Best wishes to everyone,

Devlin
Co-coordinaor APPA Sec.