[asia-apec 747] Assistance for Phil Speaker on BIMP

nacfar at mnl.sequel.net nacfar at mnl.sequel.net
Mon Oct 5 19:33:34 JST 1998

<bold>Dear APPA Secretariat,

</bold>

<bold>Warmest greetings!

Part of the Forum on Land, Food Security and Agriculture of the
Asia-Pacific Peoples' Assembly (APPA) to be held parallel to the 1998
APEC Leaders Summit, is the Workshop on Globalization and Fisheries.  It
is being jointly sponsored by NACFAR (Nationwide Coalition of the
Fisherfolk for Aquatic Reform - Philippines) and PAMALAKAYA (National
Federation of Fisherfolk Organizations in the Philippines) with the theme
"Fisherfolk Say No to Monopoly Capital's Thirst for Profit."

The NACFAR Council of Leaders decided to send Ms. Myrna Carlos, Acting
Officer-in-Charge of the Nacfar Secretariat to attend and participate in
the upcoming APPA Conference as one of the presentors in the Workshop on
Globalization and Fisheries.  In particular, she would be presenting a
case study on the BIMP-EAGA’s Fisheries Cooperation.  Our organization,
NACFAR,  initiated a study on the BIMP and had conducted in August 1997,
a Fisherfolk Consultation on the same, held in Southern Philippines.  It
would be a great honor and opportunity for Nacfar and the Philippine
Fisherfolk that she be able to attend.

However, our organization is also not in a position to pay the expenses
for the forum.  We are now faced with wanting for substantial external
support in order for Ms. Carlos to attend and participate in the
meaningful Assembly.

Specifically, we are humbly appealing to you to provide financial
assistance for her transportation and accommodation needs by way of
sponsoring her airfare, food and accomodation to the conference amounting
to a minimum package sum of eight hundred US Dollars (USD 800).

Please contact soonest so that  we could make the proper arrangements or
alternate plans with your decision.

Looking forward into your eventual support,  We remain

For the Council of Leaders,

Thelma Roxas

Member, Nacfar Council

</smaller></smaller>