[asia-apec 392] Letter to Clinton--May 2 Action alert

moonlight at igc.apc.org moonlight at igc.apc.org
Thu Apr 24 21:56:30 JST 1997

NATIONAL ACTION ALERT

Please contact your Congressional representative and encourage him/her to
 sign on to the following letter (by April 28th) that is being circulated by
Congressman Sam Farr from California.  Also please sign and send a copy of
the letter to President Clinton.

The Honorable William J. Clinton
President
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. President:

In light of your upcoming visit to Mexico, we wish to express our concern
about the status of the peace talks in Mexico and cases of increasing
violence in the Mexican state of Chiapas.

After three years, the conflict in Chiapas remains unresolved.  Dialogue
between the government and the Zapatista National Liberation Army (EZLN) has
been on hold.  We are concerned that, as this deadlock continues, the people
in Chiapas may lose faith in their ability to achieve change through
nonviolent means.

Since the impasse in talks began, rural violence and killings in Chiapas
have increased.  Human rights groups report that more than 100 people have
been killed in recent months, primarily by paramilitary groups with links to
the ruling party.   Human rights organizations have been  attacked or
threatened while seeking to investigate human rights abuses, and they report
that much of this violence happens either with the support or acquiescence
of the police or the military.

We understand that you seek to strengthen ties between the two countries.
However, we believe that bilateral issues of primary concern to our country
=96 such as economies, migration, and anti-narcotic efforts =96 need to be
considered and discussed within a broader discussion of human rights, the
conflict in Chiapas, and the role of the Mexican military in civilian
affairs.  If these are not dealt with constructively, these matters may
become destabilizing factors in Mexico, with grave potential impact on
bilateral relations.

We urge you, in your meetings with President Ernesto Zedillo, to encourage
him to ensure that the peace negotiations in Chiapas are successfully
concluded.  We believed that the achievement of a just peace in Chiapas is
essential for future stability in Mexico and the long-term health and
viability of U.S. - Mexican relations.

Sincerely,