[asia-apec 210] PROCLAMATION NO. 890

RVerzola RVerzola at phil.gn.apc.org
Wed Oct 30 12:40:43 JST 1996

Below is a recent proclamation by the President of the Philippines. It
is interesting to note that the highest ejection rate of urban poor
probably occurred during this month in Metro Manila, thanks to APEC.

Obet

                              MALACANANG
                                Manila

                 BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE PHILIPPINES

                         PROCLAMATION NO.890

  DECLARING THE MONTH OF OCTOBER 1996 AS THE NATIONAL SHELTER MONTH

     WHEREAS, cognizant of the vital role of housing in economic
recovery and the general well-being of our people, the Government has
placed housing as one of the priority concerns;

     WHEREAS, the Government was an active participant in the Second
United Nations Conference on Human Settlements or HABITAT II held this
year in Istanbul (Turkey);

     WHEREAS, the Government joins the community of nations in the
annual celebration of the World Habitat Day, which falls on the first
Monday of October of every year, to bring to fore the imperative need
to address homelessness;

     WHEREAS, The Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council
(HUDCC) and its shelter agencies together with the private sector,
notably the Subdivision and Housing Developers Association, Inc.
(SHDA) and other organizations, have calendared activities and events
in October since 1994 to draw public attention on the various aspects
of housing;

     WHEREAS, with its policy of encouraging a stronger partnership
between the government and the private sector, the Government
recognizes the need to obtain popular support to these different
activities relative to housing;

     NOW, THEREFORE, I, FIDEL V. RAMOS, President of the Philippines,
by virtue of the powers vested in me by law, do hereby declare the
month of October 1996 as the "National Shelter Month".

     IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the
seal of the Republic of the Philippines to be affixed.

     Done in the City of Manila, this 1st day of October in the year
of Our Lord, nineteen hundred and ninety six.

By the President:

   (signed)                                       (signed)
FIDEL V. RAMOS                                 RUBEN D. TORRES
                                             Executive Secretary