[asia-apec 229] 1996 KCTU National Workers Rally

KCTU-International kctuint at chollian.dacom.co.kr
Thu Nov 7 12:45:57 JST 1996

            KOREAN CONFEDERATION OF TRADE UNIONS
---------

                                  Invitation

                          1996 National Workers Rally
                            for Labour Law Reform

                              November 10, 1996

                                  * * * * *

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Warm greetings from Seoul.

I have great pleasure in inviting you to our "1996 National Workers Rally for
Labour Law Reform".

I am keenly aware that our invitation comes at too short a notice. This was
brought about by the continuing uncertainty over the prospects of labour law
reforms in Korea. We hope that you can take part or send a delegation to
take part in and witness the historic moment in our decade-long struggle for
labour law reform despite the shortness of the notice.

The "1996 National Workers Rally" comes at a crucial time. Currently the
Presidential Commission on Industrial Relations Reform is engaged in
preparatory work for the amendment of the various labour laws. As you are
well aware the Commission's work and the entire process for the reform have
arrived at the most critical moment. We believe that by the November 10, the
day of the Rally, we will be able to know whether the legislative reforms will
be realised this year or postponed indefinitely. The Rally will be a moment
for demonstrating the will of the trade union movement.

We expect some 200,000 people, including 100,000 workers from the
KCTU-affiliated unions, to take part in the Rally. The KCTU has decided to
organise the participation of 20% of total membership which currently stands
at 500,000.  Some of the affiliated unions have made individual commitments
to mobilise more that the "allocated" 20% level. The Rally is expected to be
one of the largest gathering since the historic events of 1987.

We know well the efforts you and your organisation have undertaken in
support of our struggle for labour law reforms. Your solidarity and support
have been instrumental in forcing the Korean government to be more sincere
in its commitment for labour law reforms.  Your efforts have given added
momentum to our struggle.  This is why we hope that you can be with us in
the Rally as we launch ourselves into the final stage of the struggle for
labour law reform.

If it is not possible to make arrangements for participation in the Rally, we
hope you can send a "solidarity message" which we could read at the Rally.

The 500,000 members, whose bodies, eyes and ears will tune in on the Rally
on November 10, 1996, I am certain, are eager to welcome you with
thunderous applause for the strength of the solidarity you have extended to
our struggle.

Looking forward to your presence in the Rally

                                                Sincerely yours,

                                                KWON, Young-kil
                                                President