[asia-apec 279] Re: Christmas and New Year Clemency Appeal

Siti D. Aliah dete at nusa.or.id
Thu Dec 19 12:21:37 JST 1996

Sample Letter

Dear President Clinton:

I write to urge you to grant the release of fiteen Puerto Rican political
prisoners (see below for list) in light of the lengthy sentences
they have already served, the advanced age and illness of many of these
prisoners' loved ones, and the compassion and humanitarian concern these
prisoners have demonstrated during their imprisonment.

Since the 1980s, they have been incarcerated throughout the U.S. for acts
and beliefs in favor of Puerto Rican independence.  They are serving
disproportionately long sentences of 15 to 105 years (averaging 65.4 years,
which is six times the average time served for murder although none of them
was charged with any act of bloodshed).  The majority of these prisoners
have already served over sixteen years in prison.  During their
imprisonment, they have been subjected to brutal treatment and have been
denied paroles because of their political beliefs.  In spite of this, they
have demonstrated compassion and humanitarian concern in their relationship
with other prisoners.

Many people throughout the U.S. and around the world have called for their
release.

In this spirit of Christmas/New Year,  I urge you to help re-unite these
women and men with their loved ones by granting their immediate and
unconditional release.  Concern for human rights can begin at home and then
ripple throughout the world.

Sincerely,

Maria Pakpahan
Jl. Mampang Prapatan VI/39