[asia-apec 43] Re: Reflections for the Manila People's Forum on APE

RVerzola RVerzola at phil.gn.apc.org
Thu Aug 22 13:46:24 JST 1996

Hi, Gerald. Thanks for the reply. I think you have started an
interesting thread of discussion, which I'd like to pursue in the
context of current issues such as GATT/WTO and APEC.

>are not useful terms. I would go further, though, and call it global
>capital. Because corporations can always be represented in solely

Global capital is fine, but if I'm looking for a term that the masses
can easily grasp -- as was your original suggestion -- I'd still
choose global corporation (or global companies). They can see it right
there on the signboards and neon lights.

Here, we don't speak of global corporations alone. We link them to a
pro-rich, corrupt and overcentralized government, as we have in the
Philippines and elsewhere. The two are partners in crime, so to speak,
and the people suffer because of this partnership.

Global corporations and the government are two ubiquitous institutions
that many people plainly see as causes of their displacement as well
as loss of job and food security. For the APEC alone, scores maybe
hundreds of families including children were ejected from their homes,
which were demolished because they were eye-sores. The government
wants to prettify the view along the roads the APEC participants will
pass on their way from Manila to Subic.

>In thinking about this linkage to political power I must say that I
>disagree with the solutions you propose. I do not believe that national
>political elites can in any way be better than global capital. There are

Hmm, I don't remember proposing specific solutions yet, much less
arguing for national political elites. I presume you are replying to
somebody else's posting?

Anyway, I was saying that the first task is to unmask this process of
recolonization, which in the Philippines is happening at a tremendous
pace. With the help of our corporate- and investor-friendly
government, global corporations are feasting on our natural resources,
privatizing public commons, and buying the national wealth at bargain
prices. Our local producers are being exposed to deadly competition
with global corporations. Yet, we are told that we should welcome and
embrace this whole process, because it will supposedly provide
employment, transfer technology, promote interdependence, development
economy, etc. Some people believe it, too.

In APEC, we can see the same double-speak, with the representatives of
the Philippine government in effect acting as spokesdogs of U.S.
interests.

Regards, and back to you.

Obet Verzola